I’m nervous. When Ben and Richard both don’t know what’s going on, I get this uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I hate it even more when a beat-up looking Richard is running skittishly around the jungle frantically trying to give Sawyer advice. I just don’t like it one bit.
Here were a few things that I found interesting about The Substitute…
- If Jacob and Richard were homies than why didn’t Richard know that Jacob was seeking candidates for his replacement? And why was Jacob looking for a replacement to protect the island? Jacob is nearly a million years old even though he doesn’t look a day over 30, so was he just preparing to kick the bucket? Or was he planning to leave the island?
- The “candidate cave” was really exciting for me. I was expecting that we would never hear anything about the numbers ever again. But surprise surprise, here they are! And even more exciting, each number corresponds to one of our Losties which apparently are all candidates! John Locke is 4, Hugo Reyes is 8, James Ford is 15, Sayid Jarrah is 16, Jack Shephard is 23, and one or both of the Kwons are 42 (personally, I think 42 referred to Sun).
- Nothing against Sawyer, he’s great (especially with his shirt off), but he is not the brightest bulb. So how was it that Sawyer was the only person who saw Flocke for what he really was–a fake Locke? There were a lot of people that spent time with Flocke, why did no one catch on earlier?!
- In the new world, Benjamin Linus is a teacher?! I hope he lectures his students with that creepy voice and blank stare!
- And I know Annie is really upset about this one… we’re three episodes into season six and we have yet to see Sawyer shirtless. At least he is out of the Dharma jumpsuit now. Hopefully he’ll loose the shirt soon too.
Overall, I wasn’t too impressed with this episode. There was no suspense. There was no conflict. We didn’t even get to see most of our favorite Losties this week like Jack, Kate, and Hurley. I would have also liked to see Sayid, you know, to make sure he stopped crying. I suppose this episode was intended to start answering questions and tying up loose ends so we should be glad! Maybe the time for questions really is over! But it still just didn’t live up to my expectations!
I am, however, anxious to see how everyone’s alternative lives turn out!