Despite my love for Richard, Ab Aeterno was hands down the best episode so far this season!
Before this episode aired, I compiled a list of questions I hoped would be answered about Richard. And most of them where…
- How old is he?
- I’m not exactly sure how old he is but he has been on the island since 1867, which means he has been on the island for 140 years.
- Where did he come from?
- Ricardo originally lived on Tenerife; part of the Canary Islands
- Why did Jacob allow for him to never age?
- Jacob asks Richard if there is anything he can do for him and Richard says he wants his wife back. When Jacob admits he cannot bring his wife back from the dead, Richard then asks to be absolved of his sins so he won’t go to Hell. Jacob says he cannot do that either. So Richard then asks to be grated an eternal life so he can never die and go to Hell.
- Who brought him to the island?
- Jacob brought him to the island via the Black Rock to prove to the Man in Black that people can be good by nature.
- What is his purpose on the island?
- Richard’s purpose on the island is to be Jacob’s representative, an intermediary to the people Jacob brings to the island.
- Why can’t he take Jacob place and protect the island?
- It doesn’t seem like Richard is in the running to become Jacobs successor. He was probably meant to continue his representative role.
- Does he really know everything?
- According to Ilana, Richard knows what to do next because Jacob told her so. However, Richard begs to differ.
- What brand eyeliner does he use?